Monday 6 August 2012

Loose ends

This will be my last post as I am now home safely and in the process of writing up the Fellowship report which will officially bring my trip to an end.  I will begin with an apology - having read through a couple of earlier blogs I noticed some annoying 'typo's'  My excuse is that when I wrote the blog it was usually late at night, after a long day and I wanted to get to bed ready for the day ahead so I tended to bash out a blog and publish without proof reading. I will try to do better in this final one. 

I am now back in the routine of home and it is like I have not been away.  Catching up on 'family stuff' seeing friends and dropping back into the normality of life has been a full time job - hence not having opportunity to write this in the previous 2 weeks. The Olympics also have been wonderful to return to, albeit very distracting!

I wanted to end the blog with a few final observations and thanks to all the people who made my trip such a success.  

In an earlier blog I mentioned that a Canadian dollar is called a Loonie.  I have since discovered that is because a lune is featured on the reverse of the coin.  I was also told that a duoonie is $2, but I did not put that to the test.  Our coins do not seem to lend themselves to such nicknames, unless anyone has any good suggestions.....

I also previously mentioned that an essential item of my trip was my MacBook Air bought especially for this trip to write up and save notes on the places that I visited and the lessons learned; to store photographs and to use as a means of keeping in contact with home. I was new to Apple having bought this a few months before travelling.  After 5 weeks on the road I lost a plastic dust cover that I had protected since buying the machine and religiously replaced every time I disconnected the Mac from the mains. My disappointment at losing this protective cover was tempered by the proximity of an Apple Store in the tiny town in which I was staying. I visited the store 3 times before finding it open.  I then explained to the helpful shop assistant what it was that I needed.  He initially looked confused, then amused.  He called over his colleague and store manager so that I could explain again what it was that I wanted. With great bemusement they broke the news to me that the protective cover that I had replaced after every use was actually part of the packaging and a throwaway item.  They could not comprehend that not only had I kept this for 6 months but that I actually wanted another one.  I left the store thinking that the staff will be surprised that I managed to operate the door opening mechanism and find my way outside!

Toronto public transport system may not seem an exciting opening gambit but anyone visiting Toronto may be interested to know a little about it.  The subway system has not extended beyond a narrow loop around downtown and the mid section of the city.  This is supplemented by a tram service and regular buses.  My first experience of this system was attempting to get from the airport to my hotel.  Google Maps provided inaccurate information so more by luck than good judgement I dragged all my luggage onto a bus that deposited me at a terminal and the start of the subway system.  Going underground I was unable to find any helpful maps outlining the system that would point me to the platform that I needed.  The only available information showed the directions that trains where heading and their intended final destination. Without having either of these pieces of information I did feel a little lost.  I made a mental picture of the city and decided that the airport lay to the west so guessed that my hotel must be East.  I clambered aboard the east bound train which was mercifully quiet and had room for me, my laptop, notes and 6 weeks worth of laundry.  On board I finally found a map, one which displayed each station with a light next to it, stations with a red light had been visited, yellow light was the current station / next station and green lights the ones you were heading towards.  The electronics conformed I was heading in the right direction toward a station that put me back in step with Google directions.

The journey from airport to hotel took well over 1 hour and involved catching a bus, a change of trains, and a walk. It cost just $3 - about £2.  I was impressed with the value, but did not relish retracing my steps on possibly busier transport when it was time to return to the airport for my next flight. However checking taxi prices I was astounded to find the return trip would cost $55.  On balance a comfy seat in an air conditioned taxi and a 20 minute door to door ride for $55 or a 15 minute walk dragging luggage to a subway system, fighting to get my bags into a crowded train, sweating with the Toronto commuters, changing trains for another congested trip to a bus stop, waiting in the heat, then hoping I would find space on a rack to store my bags before being disgorged at the airport and having to drag my bags further to find the terminal that I needed.  No contest, $3 is just such good value!  My flight was late afternoon so I had plenty of time and actually the return journey was much quieter than I had anticipated and by then I knew the transport system so it was an easy option.  It also cost even less than $3 as buying tokens in advance brings down the cost per journey.  The tokens are 5p sized metal discs that you drop into a slot to open the barriers.  They get mixed in with your loose change and are hard to keep track of but well worth buying at the start of the trip as I would expect that most people would  use the subway for getting about downtown.  One other piece of advice is to look out for the 'transfer token dispenser.'  When leaving a subway you can collect a transfer token which entitles you to continue your journey on a tram or other linked transport.  In comparison the metro system, back home in Newcastle, is more extensive but less joined up and far more expensive, as is the case with most UK public transport.  Something for a future Churchill Fellowship to investigate and improve perhaps?

The Fellowship led to me travelling a great deal and as I was moving I often had lonely meals.  Consequently in one busy restaurant when another single man was seated at the table next to mine I was delighted when we struck up a conversation.  However as this unfolded it became one of the most bizarre evenings of my trip. The man, who I will not name for reasons that will become obvious, said that he was from Ireland.  We looked for the commonality that came from crossing the Atlantic to reach our respective destinations, however our differences became the most interesting aspect of the discussions. After exploring the purpose that brought us respectively to where we found ourselves we then asked each other about our jobs back home.  On his turn he smiled wryly and said that if we were in England he would tell me he was in the import, export business.  However as we were so far from home he would let me in on the aspect of his business that he does not share freely. He had my full attention as he told me that he 'came upon' large quantities of alcohol in Ireland that he helped transport to England where it was sold on.  Having washed my meal down with a modest quantity of alcohol my inhibitors failed to prevent my next question; 'You're a booze smuggler?'  He looked around to ensure British Customs officials hadn't pulled seats up at the next table, then nodded and proceeded to explain how the operation worked with sufficient vagueness on details to limit my impact as a witness for the prosecution.  He talked about the murky world of gangsters at either end of his chain and how he operated between them. He said he refused to transport guns and drugs, though had been asked on many occasions.  As the waitress departed with our empty glasses I said, "How can you as a middle man say 'No' to hardened criminals?"  He said that he was well connected and had protection that was respected by those he dealt with so he did not experience unnecessary pressure.  He offered to buy me a drink but I was ready to go,  though I did consider that perhaps I should help redistribute some of his ill gotten gains to a law abiding, tax paying citizen. Instead we said our 'Goodbyes' and I walked home reflecting on meeting someone well outside my normal circle of acquaintances and interesting for that.  However I also thought back to certain inconsistencies and things that didn't ring true.  In the end I wonder if he was an actor playing a part to get in role or just a fantasist.  Whatever it made a diverting change to eating alone!

I have enjoyed this incredible opportunity to visit some wonderful places, meet some warm and generous people and to learn so much. This opportunity is due to Winston Churchill's Memorial Trust funding that enabled me to explore employment opportunities for people who have learning disabilities.  During those visits I also had lighter moments.  I was impressed that one place I visited funded a psychologist to assess and work with clients to help prepare them for employment.  By way of justifying this expense it was explained to me one recent success the psychologist had achieved.  One of the clients was not making much progress.  He had Down's Syndrome but was not typical in that he was less sociable than might be expected, he had very poor communication skills and he was taller than average.  After psychological assessment and examination of previous records the psychologist informed the staff that the young man did indeed have learning difficulties, however he did not have Down's, he was in fact from Mongolia!

At the other end of the scale a young man diagnosed as toward the high end of the Autistic Spectrum was given work experience at a bank.  His job was to input randomly generated 16 digit numbers and assign them to new credit card accounts.  His speed and accuracy were noticed during his first week, during his second week he complained to his manager because one of the numbers he had been given to input was not unique and he had been told all numbers would be.  The manager patiently explained that the computer was programmed to generate unique numbers and that it was impossible for it to produce the same number twice.  He also pointed out that the young man had input a huge number of digits and that it was inconceivable that anyone would be able to remember every string accurately.  Due to the insistency of the young man the manger agreed to check and show him his error.  Unbelievably the check revealed that the young man was correct.  He had remembered a 16 figure digit  from amongst the thousands that he had typed in and recognised it when it reappeared.  The bank were alerted to a glitch in their system and hired him on the spot!

Toward the end of my stay the build up to the Olympics was making daily coverage. Much of it uncomplimentary and often taken from the British press.  The stories had cringeworthy criticisms of security, organisation, lack of preparedness, negative influence of sponsors and fussy bureaucracy.  It did create a very negative impression of Britain and one that was not helping our national interest.  I have been delighted on my return to see how the black clouds that pre-ceeded the Olympics have been blown away by an exceptional competition with many fairytale moments.

My travels have brought about many wonderful moments and fabulous memories. I have learned so much and I hope the knowledge will be of value and help people with disability in the UK.  I have attempted to share some of the many stories and observations that provided added colour to my journey and I hope that they have been enjoyable to read.  Without the support of a great number of people I would not have been able to embark on this trip and I would like to express my thanks to the many wonderful generous people who have provided me with their time, expertise and hospitality. Norm Gettings & Rena Haggas from Bananagrams have been great friends and wonderful company.   Ken Upshaw and his colleagues at 'Bridges' in Chicago taught me a great deal, Deanne Ziebart in Vancouver shared some excellent practice which I hope to be able to copy. Alejandra at Lemon & Allspice in Toronto whose enthusiasm and passion for her role are inspirational.  Tina Fabbro for sharing her excellent approach and generous hospitality.  Bill Wright for giving me 3 days to get inside 'Project Work' and for his generosity and willingness to share the expertise of his organisation. The list goes on and many others deserve my thanks however if anyone reading would like the full list it is probably better that they contact me and ask for a copy of my final report which will have more details of all my professional visits.

So this is my final blog.  The Fellowship will conclude when I complete and submit my report, hopefully the impact will continue however.  I have a meeting planned with a colleague in Sunderland to see how some of the lessons learned may be implemented and I will look at additional ways I may be able to use my increased knowledge and experience to better help the young people who have learning difficulties but desperately want to work and contribute to their community.  I hope you have enjoyed what you have read, but more importantly I do really hope that for a group of people who, through no fault of their own, have been born with very limited life opportunities that they will be able to gain some positive benefit through the implementation of lessons learned in the USA & Canada.

Martin Wright
Winston Churchill Fellow 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment