Saturday 30 June 2012

Time to reflect and say Thank-you.

The trip and the time are passing faster than I can keep up with.  I had thought I would have time to write a short blog most days - but I have found I am spending so much time doing things that I have little time to write about it!


So before I get much further I have got to mention some people who have been brilliant and a massive help in making my trip a success.  When I arrived Norman Gettings at Bananagrams was brilliant, picking me up from Boston Airport, helping me settle in and sharing a beer or 2.  
Mike Smith in Providence introduced me to how they help adults with Autism into employment and shared some excellent ideas. 
In Cleveland Marilyn Jares and Rich Hoban at SAW inc were excellent hosts, gave up an entire day and showed me a wide range of schemes and, for me, a novel approach of paying the workforce through SAW who receives a donation from the employer.  
In Cincinnati I attended a packaged event. Gary was a thoughtful host - even taking me shopping when I needed a bag to carry the arm load of resources I carried to each meeting.  Also in Cincinnati Mitch Morgan from 5&3 Bank was very helpful. Looking at employment from the business perspective was particularly insightful.
Ken Upshaw and his team at Bridges in Chicago were fantastic, wonderful people doing a great job and all willing to share their knowledge.  I learnt a huge amount and am indebted to Ken and his team.
In Kenosha, Wisconsin I met Gary Eckstein. We visited some great schemes and met some dedicated individuals.  Unfortunately, runners will understand what I mean when I say, I hit the wall in Kenosha.  All the traveling, collecting information, the unfamiliar heat and I skipped coffee at breakfast combined to leave me well below par. Gary was a really good guy - so I wish I hadn't run out of energy at that point.
I recovered in time to fly to Vancouver.  A flight of 4 and a half hours and I hadn't realised they don't serve any food.  My stomach wasn't fooled by the Vancouver clocks showing 5:00pm - it knew it was 7:00pm or 12 hours since a meagre breakfast.  I dropped my bags at my new lodgings and dashed off in the direction of any food selling type place.  
The following morning, or 2 meals later, I met Deanne Ziebart a lovely lady who showed me 3 wonderful projects - Jobs West, StarWorks and a Drop In centre where those with disability can stop by to have a coffee, chat to friends, do a class or recreation activity.  Evening social events are regularly planned and all events are always well attended.  I have learned so much from so many places and seen a lot of problems tackled in a range of imaginative ways - but the drop in idea is simple and meet so many needs.  It is so far a stand alone idea and will definitely be part of the final package of measures that I propose.  
So everyone who has contributed to my increasing knowledge and who has played their part in the success of the trip so far I would like to say a big 'Thank-you' and I will be in touch once I have assimilated the information, translated it to a UK context and written the report. 


My next stop is Vancouver Island where I have 3 days of visits planned before flying to Toronto to spend time with 2 companies which will end my Canadian trip.  So I had better go an pack, tomorrow I have an early start and 6 weeks worth of luggage to transport on public transport, change buses downtown to get a Ferry over to Nanaimo.  



No comments:

Post a Comment