Tuesday 26 June 2012

A week is along time!

Before leaving Cincinnati I had a final walk over to Covington and Main Strass Village. The small township celebrates it famous children with a series of brown signs. (worthy of the sign museum itself!) These list the famous and their achievements.  Amongst whom are Robert L Surtee's who won 3 Academy Awards as Director of Photography, his final one in 1959 for Ben Hur.  He also has credits for his work on classic films such as The Oklahoma, Graduate and The Sting.  I was also impressed to learn that Haven Gillespie 1888 - 1975 was born and went to school in Covington. If you do not know the name he was a printer by trade and worked for The New York Times. However his fame was for the feel good songs that he wrote the most famous of which is 'Santa's coming to Town,'  Reading that as the baking sun was burning through the factor 30 was a little bizarre! 
As the evening approached I saw a series of tiny light bulbs illuminate in the grass around me - as soon as the light registered it went off again. I was trying to work out what was happening went one switched on directly in front of me. It was a tiny insect that as it takes off the light comes on. I don't think it was a firefly, but whatever it was - nice to see.

Just an observation - but as I have been doing my laundry here it has occurred to me why put wet clothes in a drier using all that electricity when if you hung them outside they would dry quicker and for free. If that wasn't enough reason it would be better for the planet as well. What do you think?

With so many journey's it was inevitable I would have a bad one. To cut a long disaster short and avoid reliving it - the plan was to fly from Cincinnati to Cleveland via Washington, not my plan - the travel agent who arranged my travel. The first flight was cancelled, meaning I would miss the connection. They re-routed me leading to a 3 hour delay from my planned arrival. On the rearranged flight I squeezed past a passenger and fell into my seat - then discovered something gum like sticking to the seat and now to my pants. On landing I told the air hostess - she asked to see my ass. I was in no mood to flirt - not least when she confirmed that my pants were in a state. Self consciously I made my way to baggage collection and to make a bad day complete - my bag was not there. I had to wait over 1 hour for it to arrive. I was due to arrive at the Airbnb apartment at 8:30pm I rolled in after midnight - hitting my pillow that night I was very much aware that my meeting was at 8:00am the next morning and I had not yet found where to go. Sweet dreams not! (I worked out, during my long delays, had I driven I could have arrived at 3:00pm - note to the travel agent....)

But I found it, had a successful day visiting schemes in the Cleveland area of Cuyahoga County. I even had a meal with other people, going out with 2 of the staff that had guided me through my day. Cleveland is not Cincinnati but it was hot, nice enough and had a bar that showed England win an unmemorable game. I also enjoyed my first experience of Airbnb. (Google if you haven't heard of it!) My host was away so I had his apartment to myself.  Made a change from hotels and good to have the opportunity to make my breakfast.

I made Chicago without any repeated hassle - and amazingly as the luggage conveyer belt whirred into life I stared with disbelief - a black case with a strap of Union Jacks was circulating.  Tacky but easy to spot and this time it actually arrived with me, Hurrah!!

Chicago - great city Which I will return to. But for now I will jump forward and share some pictures of Kenosha, Wisconsin which is my final American visit before flying to Vancouver.  More later.



Kenosha Lake Front Quay




KENOSHA, Wisconsin
Lake Michigan, same Lake as Chicago, different skyline.

Kenosha Town Park

Posh Kenosha - even the trams are Rolls Royce's
I asked for a Compact - a free supersize!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment